Thursday, July 2, 2009

My First Fourteener {Go big or go home. ~Kevin Kruess}

The quote above is one that was often made by my friend Kevin. When he and John were around if you weren't gonna make whatever you were doing BIG, then what was the point? So last Sunday I decided to live by those very words. Dustin and I were invited to join some of the high schoolers from our church to help out with their climb of Mt. Elbert. So I can't say I didn't know what I was getting into because that would be a lie. Dustin had told me quite often the week before how awesome it was that the first mountain I climbed in CO would be the largest one it has to offer. Mt Elbert, the beast that we tackled on Sunday stands @ 14,440 feet it is the tallest peak in CO. We set off on our hike @ 8am and returned back to our cars around 3pm or so. The last 800 or 900 feet were the toughest steps I have ever taken. The air is thin and your legs are just exhausted all you can do it put one foot in front of another. It became what we lovingly called the "death march". The view from the top was well worth it. Check it out.

This is the crew we hiked with.


Here are some of the shots I took on our way up. The sun was out and the air was warm.

As we neared the top it started to hail on us and the storm clouds rolled in. We had to make a quick decent because its not a good idea to be above tree line when the thunder is rolling!

So climbing this MTN makes one for me and 7 for Dustin...I only have 53 to go and D 47.

You better believe I added my initials to the post at the summit!=)

What can I say? I like this guy.

Dustin and his good friend Brennan.

Dustin's celebratory dance.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I miss you, I miss CO, I miss Kevin, I miss the mountains, I want to move! You and D--so cute! Way to go on the climb.