Friday, March 5, 2010

Adventures in Fruits and Veggies...

I decided that my meals needed a little spicing up. I was getting sick of broccoli and green beans and apples and oranges. So I thought it would be fun to challenge myself to eating 1 new fruit and 1 new veggy every week (until my grocery store runs out of things to offer). So some of these things I have tried when I was a child, or I may have had them disguised in a sauce of some sort. So in order to truly say i have tried it I want to try one bite raw and then do a simple preparation like steaming it or just adding salt and pepper. Only after that can I cast a judgement of whether I like or dislike the item.

This week my tastes buds tried the Golden Beet


And the Blood Orange




It turns out that they were both great. The golden beet was little bitter and crunchy raw but when steamed and salt and pepper are added it is sweet and delicious! The blood orange was good a well, mine was a little dry but that may have been just a bad pick on my part.

Drop me a line and tell me about you favorite "off the beaten path" fruit or veggy.

No comments: